The meaning of an eligible child is:
- a natural or adopted child who was born before, on, or in the case of a natural child, within 12 months' of the member's death, or
- a step child or a child accepted by the deceased member as a member of the family (excluding a child sponsored by the member through a registered charity) who was dependent on the member at the date of death.
In addition to the above eligible children must also meet the following conditions:
- be under age 18, or
- be aged 18 or over and under 23 and in full-time education or vocational training (although your pension fund can continue to treat the child as an eligible child even if there has been a break in full-time education or vocational training), or
- be unable to engage in gainful employment because of physical or mental impairment and either:
- has not reached the age of 23, or
- the impairment is, in the opinion of an independent registered medical practitioner, likely to be permanent and the child was dependent on you at the date of your death because of that mental or physical impairment.
In this context gainful employment means paid employment for not less than 30 hours in each week for a period of not less than 12 months.